Monday, October 17, 2011

Annotation #1


Annotated Bibliography

Works Cited
Wei, M, TY Ku, and KY Liao. "Minority stress and college persistence attitudes among African American, Asian American, and Latino students: Perception of university environment as a mediator." Cultural Diversity & Ethnic Minority Psychology17.2 (2011): 195-203. CINAHL Plus with Full Text. EBSCO. Web. 17 Oct. 2011.



Summarize:

This article primarily talks about stress and college life as a whole and how it affects minorities. Including, but not limited to African Americans, Asian Americans, and Latino students it explains the stress levels in students. While everyone in college experiences a different level of stress it mainly focuses on that of minorities as they have additional stress merely because of their minority status. Also due to the stereotype that faculty has low expectations for them because they have low intelligence. Since African American's, Asian American's, and Latino's struggle with college persistence, they were used in a proposed mediation model. As minority students begin to experience more and more minority stress they begin to think of the universities overall environment negatively.

Analysis:

This source is mainly used to show how minorities under pressure would act. Although I have many more sources I could have used I preferred this one as it helped with getting the main point across effeciently. Going off of this will also help me with creating new questions that can be asked, answered and added to what I have thus far. Although the source is not from a credible news source, it might not be completely acurate. And with this in mind I will continue to look more into this and see what else can be tied into it.

Reflection:

Honestly I feel that this source fits into my research, mainly because it's being used as the starting point for my research. Thanks to this source it allows me to follow up and think of other questions about stress and education. I can truthfully say that this source has been extremely helpful to me as it allowed me to further investigate further. I will continue to look for more sources to better benefit the main topic at hand. By gaining more sources, I hope to explain how stress causes students to act in a particular way in a educational evironment.

No comments:

Post a Comment