Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Research Proposal

 For my research proposal I intend to write in regards to stress. To elaborate further, it will be the stress levels of students and how it affects their progress in the classroom itself. With the main research question being "Would people with lower education suffer more or less stressful days?". With this question being asked it also ties into how much of an impact does it have on their health. Also can it be asked on whether these stress levels are caused randomly or not randomly at all. It also depends on the quality of the information gathered. At this point in time I also have many other questions that could be asked, but as of right now I did not use them in order to keep things simplified.
The reason behind such a topic is that I wish to find out the reasons why some students tend to perform poorly in the classroom. Reasons behind this can include reccuring problems in the students household, to many other factors which leads to an excessive amount of stress. To me I personally feel that this ties in completely with wellness and health as a whole. Find the reasons behind stress, to get an understanding of why the student performs poorly. Although no worldwide solution can be created from this, by understanding the reasons behind stress and the cause, it can help the individual lead a much more healthier lifestyle. Personally it interests me because I have a family member who is stressed most of the time and due to the stress and the problems that come with it, he has decided to give up on school altogether.
Personally I already know that a majority of college freshman encounter serious levels of stress before college even begins. This comes from the fact that there is so much work to do during their senior year of high school. Looking at a percentage of the students involved in a test, women were found to be the most stressed, while men were the least stressed. A gender gap was also found where about more than 60 percent of women seek mental health services from the year of 2011 alone. Reasons behind this were the fact that women were more prone to explaining how they feel, while men on the other hand don't socialize about their feelings or even express stress.
With this in mind, I intend to find out information regarding students of a particular school or area, whilst gathering data on the ratio between men and women as a whole. Also how and if a number of the men and women seeked out help during the first signs of stress. And how they coped or intend to cope with the stress altogether. Although I metioned students I also intend to look not only at the college level, but at the high school level as well. In order to find said information, I intend to wholeheartedly dedicate my time to look for resources online and whever else that is deemed appropriate.

1 comment:

  1. I like it!

    Do you want to look at students of a particular school, or type of school? Or college students generally?

    ReplyDelete